posted on November 13, 2013 07:24
Careless use of smoking materials has been listed as the official cause of the fatal fire on Davis Avenue.
87-year-old George McConnell died when flames engulfed the rear portion of his home early yesterday.
McConnell’s wife, Candace, was able to safely escape.
Batavia Fire Chief James Maxwell said there were lessons to be learned:
"Make sure you have working smoke detectors in your residence, at least one. Have one in every bedroom either battery operated or electric. If you have a fire in your residence get out of the building and call 9-1-1. Don't try to put the fire out yourself."
Maxwell said a smoke detector was found located in the McConnell home but it was found without a battery.
Maxwell estimated damage to the home at $50,000.
A number of cats also perished in the fire.
Absentee Ballots have been counted and two close races in Genesee County have been decided.
Democrat Ed Dejanerio keeps his seat in the Genesee County Legislature. He defeated Republican Bob Bialkowski by 33 votes.
In LeRoy, the race for Town Justice came down to just one vote. Michael Welsh defeated Scott McCumiskey 817 to 816.
Police in LeRoy arrest a Caledonia man for felony drunk driving.
28 year old Steven Palmer of Center Street in Caledonia is in the Genesee County Jail in lieu of 15 hundred dollars bail.
A felony DWI charge is usually placed when the defendant has a previous DWI conviction within 10 years.
A newly renovated home in the Erie County town of Newstead is destroyed following an explosion. The blast occurred early yesterday morning on Berghorn Avenue.
The owners were almost ready to move into the home, and were not staying there when the blast occurred.
Investigators suspect a faulty propane heater may have triggered the explosion.
Newstead is just west of the Genesee County Line and the Town of Pembroke.