posted on February 13, 2017 16:27
Batavia Police News Release:
The City of Batavia Police Department has received multiple complaints where small
denomination counterfeit bills have been passed at local businesses. The Batavia Police
Department is reminding everyone to check their money carefully. If you feel that you may be victim
to receiving counterfeit bills, please report it to the Police Department.
A few simple items to check for on US Currency that are hard to recreate on counterfeit bills:
- Color shifting ink the bill denomination on the bottom right hand corner has the right color shifting ink.
- Raised Printing To detect raised printing, take your fingernail and run it carefully down the collar/jacket. You should feel some vibration on your nail from the ridges.
- Blurry borders/printing/text significantly blurry borders, printing, or text, it is an automatic red flag.
- Red & Blue Threads If you take a close look at an authentic bill, you will see that there are small red and blue threads woven in and out within the fabric of the bill.
- Watermark In many of the new bills, the watermark is actually a replica of the face on the bill.