Morning News Brief
Written by Tom Tharp on November 3, 2023
A 15-year-old boy faces charges for a shooting on the City of Rochester’s north side last month that injured two people. Police responded to the area of Avenue D and North Street for a report of shots fired Oct. 12 just after 8:15 p.m. Officers found a 14-year-old boy and a 36-year-old woman with non-life-threatening gunshot wounds. Investigators determined the suspect was driving a stolen Kia Sportage, which they found and attempted to stop the next day on North Goodman Street. Police said the vehicle failed to stop, prompting a pursuit that ended when they lost sight of the Kia near Webster Avenue. Officers later found the vehicle unoccupied on Peck Street. U.S. Marshals found the suspect Wednesday on Ridgeway Avenue and took him into custody. He’s charged two counts of assault, criminal possession of a weapon, criminal possession of stolen property and unlawful fleeing.
A pair of teenagers from Rochester are accused of stealing two unlocked vehicles that were left running in the driveways of Batavia homes this morning. The first theft was reported on Lacrosse Avenue in Batavia. It was later located on Cherry Avenue, where another vehicle that had been left unlocked and running was stolen. A short time after the theft was reported, a Le Roy patrol officer spotted the vehicle and attempted to conduct a traffic stop. The driver fled, leading to a chase into Monroe County. The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office assisted with the pursuit once it was in the department’s jurisdiction. The chase ended in North Chili, where one occupant was taken into custody without incident. A second occupant fled on foot but was taken into custody a short time later. A 17-year-old male and an 18-year-old female, whose names are not being released by Batavia PD, were charged with two counts each of grand larceny 4th. They are also facing charges and traffic violations in Le Roy. The pair was issued appearance tickets and released to their guardians in accordance with state law.
Governor Hochul has announced millions of dollars will be coming to the Genesee County STAMP site. In her announcement on Thursday, Hochul touted the site as the largest in New York and her commitment to the new Tech Corridor designation between Syracuse and Buffalo. She said that the state would be working to focus on building the remaining infrastructure to support advanced manufacturing projects including a wastewater treatment facility and pump station, force-main components, natural gas transmission main tap and extension within the site, road construction improvements and a water transmission main. Total cost of the project is 62.37 million dollars.
The Sheriffs Office has released the name of the pedestrian who was struck and killed by a vehicle Wednesday. Authorities say 60-year-old Robert Schryver entered the road on Route 5 between Delre’s Greenhouse and the former Dibble Family Center Wednesday night. According to the initial investigation, a 27-year-old Akron woman, Brittany Hill, was driving a 2020 Gray Volkswagon SUV westbound when Schryver reportedly crossed the road ahead of her vehicle. Schryver sustained serious injuries and was transported to UMMC, where he succumbed to his injuries.
Western New York’s largest seasonal employer may be seeing some changes after Six Flags and Cedar Faire announced a merger in the last couple of days. The Ohio company which owns Cedar Point in Sandusky Ohio, Knotts Berry Farm in California and several other parks around the country and Six Flags which owns 27 parks across the US and contracts to run Darien Lake for EPR Properties are set to merge in early 2024 in a deal worth over 8 billion dollars. No announcements on what this will mean for the Western NY amusement park moving forward or for customers who buy season passes or memberships have been made.
Damar Hamlin is most likely not going to play against the Cincinnati Bengals whenBuffalo goes up against them on Sunday. But, whether he plays or not Hamlin says he is not worried. The 25-year-old Hamlin’s journey is coming full-circle with Buffalo’s first return to Cincinnati since he collapsed after making what appeared to be a routine tackle. Hamlin’s heart stopped as a result of commotio cordis, which happens when a direct blow at a specific point in a heartbeat causes cardiac arrest. Doctors have assured Hamlin he can resume playing without any fear of setbacks or reoccurrence. It’s unlikely Hamlin — who missed practice Wednesday due to an illness — will suit up Sunday. He’s been a healthy inactive for all but one of Buffalo’s first eight games since he’s last on the team’s safety depth chart.