Duck Derby Supports United Way
Written by WBTA STAFF on March 29, 2018
On Thursday, March 22, 2018 the Genesee Community College Pool was filled with 400 bright yellow rubber ducks each representing a donation to the 8th Annual United Way Campaign. The Duck Derby is the single biggest initiative GCC developed to solicit donations for the campaign from faculty, staff and students. However events are scheduled throughout the campaign period.
This year the Duck Derby raised over $400 for the United Way and the following participants won prizes; Katina Maher, John McGowan, Dave Hoover, Marguerite Badami, Kelly Sutcliff and Maureen Goodsell.
To champion the campaign efforts each year GCC establishes a United Way Committee. The 2018 committee includes:
• Courtney Andros, Assistant Director of HR Compliance
• Bethany Aradine, Assistant Director of HR
• Justine Briggs, TS Business Training Specialist
• John McGowan, Director of Business and Employee Training Skills (BEST Center)
• Katherine Trombley, Director of the Adult Education Opportunity Center (AEOC)
• Gina Weaver, Associate Vice President of HR
• Dolores Wilkin, HR Department Secretary
• GCC’s student athletes
The committee has set a donation goal of $16,000 for 2018, a 6% increase over 2017. Donations are accepted through payroll deductions, one-time gifts and of course, the purchase of ducks for the Duck Derby.
Standing left to right are GCC student Daniel Meloon, GCC Financial Operations Specialist Adrian Milroy, and Academic Services Specialist Leondro DeAndrade Pereira
“The United Way does so much for so many organizations and individuals in our community,” Campaign Coordinator Gina Weaver said. “Our campaign is our way of ensuring that good work can continue.”
GCC faculty, students and staff are encouraged to make their contributions online at https://secure.uwrochester.org/epledge/crm/Start.jsp?accountNumber=53868.