Evening News Briefing
Written by Dan Fischer on August 20, 2019
A Williamsville man is dead after his motorcycle runs off of Sliker Road in Pembroke.
The crash happened just after 7 last night.
60 year old Michael Block, from the Erie County Village of Williamsville, was heading west on his 19-year old Yamaha Motorcycle.
Deputies said Block apparently failed to negotiate a curve, ran off the road and struck several trees.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.
A Livingston County man is facing felony charges for allegedly setting fire to his girlfriend’s she-shed.
61 year old Michael Beach of Leicester lived with his girlfriend on New Road. Deputies say Beach got upset with her last night and allegedly damaged his girlfriend’s vehicle, used his own truck to damage her house and threw cigarettes butts into her she-shed nearly destroying it.
Beach is charged with arson and criminal mischief.
The Caswell Road Bridge between Walkers Corners Rd and Cockram Rd will be closed effective August 22nd through October 4th, the Genesee County Highway Dept reported Tuesday.
The office also reported on Tuesday that the Sumner Rd Bridge over Elevenmile Creek will be restricted to alternating one-way traffic with a temporary signal effective today. This bridge is between Route 77 and Harlow Road.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo is asking for New Yorkers to choose the next state license plate.
A petition has been launched on the governor’s website where people can vote for one of five plate designs.
Four of the designs include the Statue of Liberty while another features the Mario M. Cuomo Bridge over the Hudson River.
Voting runs through Sept. 2nd, and the design with the most votes will become available in April.
Activists are calling on Juul [[ jewel ]] to halt the sale of flavored e-cigarettes, arguing it encourages young people and children to vape. Outside Juul’s headquarters in New York City, Councilman Mark Levine led a rally, saying something needs to be done about the issue to keep kids safe.
The Centers for Disease Control investigating 94-cases of children and adults who suffered lung disease, possibly linked to vaping.