Wednesday News Brief

Written by on May 20, 2026

Photo Courtesy of The Batavian

BATAVIA DPW DIRECTOR PLACED ON ADMINISTRATIVE LEAVE

The City of Batavia has placed Department of Public Works Director Tom Phelps on administrative leave, though city officials are providing few details at this time.
Phelps confirmed Tuesday that he is currently on leave but said he could not comment while an investigation is ongoing.
City Council President Eugene Jankowski said the city could not discuss personnel matters because of privacy concerns, while Councilman-at-Large Nicholas Lord said he was informed by city management over the weekend that Phelps had been placed on leave.
Lord also voiced frustration about communication from City Hall and raised concerns about turnover within city leadership positions.
Phelps has worked for the city for seven years and was promoted to DPW director in October of last year.
The next Batavia City Council meeting is scheduled for May 26 at City Hall.

 

 

GENESEE COUNTY VOTERS APPROVE ALL SCHOOL BUDGETS

Voters across Genesee County approved all eight local school district budgets Tuesday night, avoiding contingency budgets and additional staffing cuts that several districts warned could happen if proposals failed.
In Batavia City School District, voters approved a 66-point-1 million dollar budget with just over 71 percent support. Matt Warren and Catrina DeJaneiro-Hansen won election to the Board of Education.
Pembroke Central School District voters approved a nearly 30 million dollar budget, while Oakfield-Alabama Central School District passed a nearly 27 million dollar spending plan.
Budgets also passed in Alexander, Byron-Bergen, Elba, Le Roy, and Pavilion.
Several districts also approved bus purchases, reserve fund measures, and library tax propositions during Tuesday’s vote.
Because no district exceeded its state tax cap, each proposal required only a simple majority to pass.

 

ALABAMA APPROVES DEER PROCESSING BUSINESS DESPITE NEIGHBOR CONCERNS

The Town of Alabama Planning Board has approved a special use permit allowing a Judge Road resident to operate a seasonal deer meat processing business from his property.
Aaron Swimline received approval following a public hearing Monday night to run the operation out of a pole barn at his home during hunting season from September through January.
Several concerns were raised during the meeting involving odor, flies, waste disposal, and potential impacts on nearby property values.
A neighboring resident submitted a letter opposing the project, claiming the business could negatively affect her property and create ongoing nuisance concerns. Planning Board members also questioned how waste would be handled and stored.
Swimline told the board all processing waste would be contained and regularly removed, adding that sealed dumpsters would be used during colder months and any remaining material would be composted off-site at a private farm. He also said the property would be cleaned daily and no meat smoking operations would take place on site.
Town officials say the special use permit will be monitored through yearly inspections, and the permit could be revoked if violations or major issues arise.

 

WHO CONCERNED AS RARE EBOLA OUTBREAK SPREADS IN CONGO

The head of the World Health Organization says he is deeply concerned about the “scale and speed” of a rare Ebola outbreak spreading through eastern Congo.
Health officials say more than 500 suspected cases and 134 suspected deaths have now been reported involving the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola — a rare form of the virus that currently has no approved vaccine or treatment.
The outbreak reportedly spread undetected for weeks after early tests came back negative for the more common Zaire strain of Ebola.
The World Health Organization has declared the outbreak a global public health emergency, with confirmed cases now reported in several large cities, including Goma and Bunia.
Health experts warn the outbreak could last for months, especially with ongoing conflict in parts of eastern Congo complicating relief efforts.
Officials in neighboring Uganda have also confirmed cases connected to travel from Congo, increasing fears of wider regional spread.

 

MOBILE DAIRY EXPERIENCE VISITS ELBA CENTRAL

Students at Elba Central School District recently got a hands-on look at New York’s dairy industry thanks to the Mobile Dairy Experience.
The interactive exhibit, created by the New York Animal Agriculture Coalition, visited Elba earlier this month and gave students an inside look at modern dairy farming, animal care, and how milk gets from farms to tables.
Students explored life-sized exhibits, learned about careers in agriculture, and even got to meet a calf brought in by Lamb Farms.
Officials say the program helps strengthen agricultural education while highlighting the important role farming continues to play in communities like Elba, where agriculture remains a major part of the local economy and culture.

 

 

 

JELL-O INTRODUCES NEW LINE WITH NATURAL INGREDIENTS

Kraft Heinz is rolling out a new line of Jell-O products made without artificial colors or sweeteners as consumers continue pushing for more natural ingredients in packaged foods.
The new “Jell-O Simply” line includes ready-to-eat gelatin cups made with fruit juice and vegetable-based coloring, while also containing at least 25 percent less sugar than regular Jell-O.
The products come in orange, raspberry lemonade, and blueberry flavors, with pudding and gelatin mixes expected later this year.
Company officials say the move is part of a broader effort to remove artificial dyes from products by 2027 as pressure grows from consumers, retailers, and federal regulators.
Industry data shows traditional gelatin sales have dropped significantly in recent years as shoppers increasingly seek foods with simpler ingredients and fewer artificial additives.

 

Photo Courtesy of Jordyn Tobolski

SECTION V SOFTBALL SECTIONALS BEGIN THIS WEEK

Section V softball postseason action is officially underway, and several local teams are set to begin their playoff runs over the next few days.
In Class A, Batavia earned the No. 3 seed and will host No. 6 seed Wayne this Saturday.
In Class B2, No. 6 seed Le Roy travels to face No. 3 seed Marion-Gananda on Friday, while No. 8 seed Attica hosts No. 9 seed Marcus Whitman today.
Class C1 features No. 4 seed Pembroke hosting No. 13 seed Holley tomorrow, while No. 7 seed Alexander welcomes No. 10 seed Clyde-Savannah.
In Class D1, Oakfield-Alabama earned the No. 2 seed and will host Arkport-Canaseraga on Friday.
And in one of the area’s marquee matchups, No. 3 seed Elba hosts No. 6 seed Notre Dame High School Friday at 4:30 p.m. in Class D2 sectional action — a game that will be broadcast live on WBTA.

 

 

 

 

Photo Courtesy of Kristin Smith/The Batavian

SECTION V BASEBALL SECTIONALS BEGIN

Section V baseball postseason action is officially underway, with several local teams opening sectional play over the next few days.
In Class A, Batavia earned the No. 9 seed and will travel to No. 8 seed Newark tomorrow.
In Class B2, No. 5 seed Le Roy heads to East Rochester on Saturday to face the No. 4 seed.
Class C1 features several local contenders, including No. 2 seed Notre Dame High School, which receives a first-round bye and will await the winner of the 7-versus-10 matchup.
No. 11 seed Alexander travels to face No. 6 seed York-Pavilion today in a game that will be broadcast live on WBTA.
Meanwhile, No. 4 seed Pembroke hosts No. 13 seed Lyons today.
In Class D, No. 3 seed Elba hosts Hinsdale tomorrow, while No. 12 seed Oakfield-Alabama travels to No. 5 seed Keshequa.


Reader's opinions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.



Continue reading

Previous post

Monday News Brief


[There are no radio stations in the database]
More news with videos if you click this links xxnxx, xxnx, filme xxx, xxnxx, https://youtubemp3converter.me, porno