Register now for Universal Pre-K and Kindergarten at Byron-Bergen Elementary School
Written by WBTA STAFF on January 23, 2018
Bergen, NY ~ The 2018-19 school year is fast approaching. Byron-Bergen families with children who have turned 4 or 5 years of age by Dec. 1, 2018 should register them for Universal Prekindergarten (UPK) or Kindergarten as soon as possible.
1. Universal PreK Registration
The Byron-Bergen School District hopes to once again offer a half-day Universal Prekindergarten (UPK) program for the 2018-19 school year. The class will be held at the Byron-Bergen Elementary School which is located at 6971 West Bergen Road, Bergen, NY 14416.
Students eligible for the program must have turned 4 years of age by Dec. 1, 2018. If you have a child eligible and are interested in having him/her attend our UPK program, please send a letter of interest with your child’s name, parents’ names, address, phone number, and date of birth to: Brian Meister, Elementary School Principal, 6971 West Bergen Rd., Bergen, NY 14416, by Friday, April 6, 2018. Parents who have already contacted the Elementary School by phone will still need to send in a letter to be eligible for UPK. Please note that if we receive more than our allowed capacity, we will select students using a lottery system.
What are the program goals of UPK at Byron-Bergen?
• To meet the NYS learning standards by using a curriculum that is thematically-based and supported using literature, songs, and exploration.
• To foster an environment that promotes happy, confident children who are willing to take risks, make independent choices, and ask questions.
• To create an inclusive community that builds upon the student’s strengths and accommodates his/her needs.
Philosophy of UPK
The UPK program at Byron-Bergen is focused on socialization, learning through play, and self-exploration. Children learn through a hands-on learning environment that includes activities, learning centers, concrete materials, and manipulatives. Students learn through a nurturing environment that is enriching, challenging, and developmentally appropriate.
2. Kindergarten Registration
Children who are 5 years of age, on or before Dec. 1, 2018, are eligible for entrance to Kindergarten in September of 2018. New families in the school district should notify the school if they have a child that will enter Kindergarten in September of 2018. Parents may contact the Byron-Bergen Elementary School Office by calling 494-1220, ext. 1301. Information may also be sent to the Byron-Bergen Elementary School, 6971 West Bergen Road, Bergen, New York 14416.
All children registering for Kindergarten will be scheduled for a screening appointment this summer. The results of this screening will be used to plan for the 2018-19 Kindergarten Program.
The following items are necessary to complete the registration process:
1. Your child’s Birth Certificate
2. Certificate of Immunization—New York State law requires that every child entering school must have received a minimum of five doses of diphtheria-pertussis-tetanus vaccine (DPT) and four doses of polio (IPV) vaccine, two doses of MMR (measles, mumps, rubella), three doses of Hepatitis B, and two doses of varicella (chickenpox). Those children born on or after 1/1/2008 must have four doses of Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine (PCV). Their immunizations must be completed prior to entering school.
3. Proof of Residency—If this is the first time you have a child entering Byron-Bergen Central School District, please bring proof of residency to your screening appointment. This can be a copy of your mortgage statement, rental/lease agreement or a copy of your tax bill.